Everything you need to know about Connecticut Criminal Records

Visit Artus Group’s FAST-TRACK service at www.CTCriminalRecords.com and you’ll find a depth of information not available anywhere else on the internet. We created this fast, online search service because it is currently not possible for the general public to quickly access comprehensive criminal and civil records anywhere online. Let me explain:

In Connecticut, criminal history records, that is, convictions, are administered and reported by the Connecticut State Police. Anyone can request a criminal history record on anyone else for any reason by downloading this form and mailing it to the Connecticut State Police in Middletown with a check for $50.00, however it can take a while and results will be mailed to you within 7-10 days.

Alternatively, you can research limited online records of criminal convictions through records of the Connecticut Judicial Branch. These records are extremely limited, are purged, and represent less than 20% of the actual records that exist. Records of pending criminal cases however are thoroughly reported by the Connecticut Judicial Branch and can be searched here.

Assuming you want something far deeper than the Connecticut Judicial Branch can offer online and you need results much quicker than reported by the Connecticut State Police, use Artus Group’s FAST-TRACK service – we have complete, unpurged criminal history records of the Connecticut State Police dating back to the early 1970’s. We also have access to real-time Connecticut DOC inmate mugshots, traffic tickets, divorces and lawsuits back to 1985, and just about every Connecticut public record available.

In any event, once you’ve identified a Connecticut criminal record, how do you find out about the specifics of the case?

In Connecticut, criminal case files are handled quite specifically. Soon after a disposition is entered, the case file is shipped to the Connecticut Records Center located at the Enfield Superior Court. Don’t even think of going to a Connecticut court to review an old criminal case file, it will only be in Enfield, if anywhere. At Enfield, case files are maintained for defined periods and then destroyed as follows:

  • Nolle/Dismissed cases are destroyed after 3 years
  • Infractions are destroyed after 5 years
  • Motor vehicle misdemeanors are destroyed after 10 years
  • Criminal misdemeanors are destroyed after 10 years
  • Criminal felonies are destroyed after 20 years or length of sentence, whichever is longer
  • Youthful Offender cases are destroyed after 10 years

You can personally travel to Enfield to request and review the file but then you will have to return at a later date to obtain copies. Alternatively Artus Group can request and obtain the file for you – we are at the Enfield Court routinely and understand their system and process. When reviewing archived criminal case files however, don’t expect to find much content. Case files are routinely stripped to bare bones for archiving and you often will not find police reports or many details beyond the court docket.

If you need police reports on a specific incident, you can personally visit the relevant police department and submit a written request and then wait to return at a later date to retrieve results, which are often redacted. Alternatively again, contact us – our investigators are in and out of police departments all the time and we know the drill.

You can look up current inmates incarcerated in Connecticut state prisons through records of the Connecticut Department of Correction, however, records are for current inmates only, not former inmates. At the federal level however, inmates can be searched nationally and historically through records of the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Sex Offenders can be searched through records of the Connecticut Sex Offender Registry, by name, address or proximity.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s